The Society of Legal Scholars has approximately 3,000 members. Most members work in law schools in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland; others work as academics in law schools abroad or are legal practitioners also engaged in teaching or research.
There are many benefits to becoming a member of the Society, including:
- Access to the Society’s 28 Subject Sections, which provide an unrivalled variety of networks for those with specialist interests. You can find out more here https://www.legalscholars.ac.uk/the-subject-sections/.
- Access to the SLS Directory of Members, which provides a searchable list of members by academic/research interest and by institution.
- Discounted member rates for the SLS Annual Conference, the largest gathering of academic lawyers in the UK and Ireland.
- Financial support for legal research and the holding of seminars and other events through the Society’s Research Activities Fund, a fund supporting the SLS Annual Seminar Series, and the Small Projects and Events Fund.*
- Eligibility for prizes offered by the Society, include a prestigious annual Book Prize for Outstanding Legal Scholarship, named after Professor Peter Birks, former President of the Society.
- Eligibility for the Society’s Best Paper Prize, awarded for work presented at the Annual Conference, with the winner of the Best Paper Prize being published in Legal Studies.
- A weekly edition of the SLS Newsletter sent direct to your inbox, which includes listings of job vacancies, seminars, conferences etc, calls for papers, news of PGR opportunities etc.
- Editions of the Society’s peer-reviewed publication, Legal Studies, which is recognised as one of the leading UK and international academic law journals.
- Spring and Winter e-editions of The Reporter, which offers constituency news and updates to all SLS members sent direct to your inbox.
If you would like to apply for membership please complete the application form here – https://members.legalscholars.ac.uk/join/index.cfm and your subscription can be paid online here – https://www.legalscholars.ac.uk/subscription-payments/
*There are different categories of membership. Please note only ordinary members are eligible to apply for financial support; overseas members are classed as associate members and are not eligible.