The Society of Legal Scholars (SLS) is the learned society for those who teach law in a university or similar institution or who are otherwise engaged in legal scholarship. As of beginning of 2013 the SLS had over 2900 members consisting of academic and practising lawyers in a wide variety of subject areas. The SLS was founded in 1908 and has charitable status. For more information on the SLS please read on.
The detailed response of the Society to the Bar Standards Board consultation paper on ‘The Future Of Training For The Bar: Academic, Vocational And Professional Stages Of Training’ is now available.
The Society is delighted to announce that Katja LH Samuel is the winner of the Peter Birks Book Prizes for Outstanding Legal Scholarship (2015) for The OIC, the UN, and Counter-Terrorism Law-Making: Conflicting or Cooperative Legal Orders? (Studies in International Law, Hart Publishing). There were two joint runners up: Jacco Bomhoff, Balancing Constitutional Rights: The Origin and Meanings of Postwar Legal Discourse (Cambridge University Press) and Paul S Davies, Accessory Liability (Hart Studies in Private Law: Hart Publishing).
SLS Centenary Lecture 2015, "The Rule of law and the economy: Barons, brigands and bankers", will be given by Nicholas Green on Wednesday 18 November, at 18:00, at the University of Bristol. Further details will be published when they become available.
Council has approved the change of name and revised rules in order to give more guidance to potential applicants and in particular to distinguish this fund from the Research Activities Fund and also from the Annual Seminar Series.
March 2015: PowerPoint Slides from the REF Law Sub-Panel Feedback session given on the 4 March 2015 at the IALS by Professor Gillian Douglas.
- Workshop: Law Reform Project Tuesday November 24 2015
- The Hamlyn Lectures 2015: A “Magna Carta” for Children? – Rethinking Children's Rights Wednesday November 25 2015
- Conference: International Law and the Changing Economic and Political Landscape in Asia Thursday November 26 2015
- Conference: Legal Resolution of Mass Disputes Collective Redress, Class Actions and ADR Thursday November 26 2015
- Lecture: The Protection of Cultural Property, the Maintenance of International Peace and Security, and Public International Law Monday November 30 2015
- Lecture: Fixes, fudges and falling short"? The need to develop a coherent devolution settlement for Wales Monday November 30 2015
- Lecture: Courts Reform Programs - The Malaysian Experience. Tuesday December 01 2015
- Forum: Human Rights Reform in the UK Wednesday December 02 2015
- Symposium: The Legal Implications of the Referendum on EU Membership Wednesday December 02 2015
- Seminar Series: Jurisdiction Thursday December 03 2015
For all forthcoming events please click here. The SLS is pleased to provide details of forthcoming legal events in on this site and via email. Should you wish to advertise an event please contact us.
Deakin University has the following opportunities:
The The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Law has the following posts open:
Closing date for fellowship applications 1 December 2015 at 12 noon Hong Kong Time (GMT+8 hours) and Studentship applications 31 January 2016.
Lakehead University is conducting an extensive search for the Dean of the Bora Laskin Faculty of Law and invites expressions of interest, applications and nominations.
- Oxford University: Academic Faculty Position in Law and Public Policy
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies: PhD Studentship in Urban Law
- Chinese University of Hong Kong: PhD Fellowships
- University of Liverpool: Chair in Common Law and Queen Victoria Chair
- Leicester University: Graduate Teaching Assistants in Law (0.2FTE) x 2
- Southampton University: Stefan Cross Chair in Gender Discrimination Law
- Judicial Appointment Commission: Fee-paid judge
- Gresham College: Professor of Law
- Newcastle University: Head of School
- Chinese University of Hong Kong: PhD Studentships
- Kent Law School: PhD research studentships, fee waivers and bursaries 2016/17
- Georgetown University, Canada: The Donald G. Herzberg Chair in International Migration