The Society of Legal Scholars (SLS) is the learned society for those who teach law in a university or similar institution or who are otherwise engaged in legal scholarship. As of beginning of 2013 the SLS had over 2900 members consisting of academic and practising lawyers in a wide variety of subject areas. The SLS was founded in 1908 and has charitable status. For more information on the SLS please read on.
The Society is delighted to announce that Katja LH Samuel is the winner of the Peter Birks Book Prizes for Outstanding Legal Scholarship (2015) for The OIC, the UN, and Counter-Terrorism Law-Making: Conflicting or Cooperative Legal Orders? (Studies in International Law, Hart Publishing). There were two joint runners up: Jacco Bomhoff, Balancing Constitutional Rights: The Origin and Meanings of Postwar Legal Discourse (Cambridge University Press) and Paul S Davies, Accessory Liability (Hart Studies in Private Law: Hart Publishing).
SLS Centenary Lecture 2015, "The Rule of law and the economy: Barons, brigands and bankers", will be given by Nicholas Green on Wednesday 18 November, at 18:00, at the University of Bristol. Further details will be published when they become available.
Council has approved the change of name and revised rules in order to give more guidance to potential applicants and in particular to distinguish this fund from the Research Activities Fund and also from the Annual Seminar Series.
March 2015: PowerPoint Slides from the REF Law Sub-Panel Feedback session given on the 4 March 2015 at the IALS by Professor Gillian Douglas.
- Congress: Human Sea - Maritime areas - control and prevention of illegal traffics at sea Monday October 05 2015
- Human Rights Consortium: The Naqab Bedouin - New Perspectives Monday October 05 2015
- 2015 Irish European Law Forum (IELF): Europe’s Shared Burden - Collective Responsibility for Migrants at Sea Friday October 09 2015
- Human Rights Consortium: Paradoxes of Capitalism and Human Rights Friday October 09 2015
- Seminar: Whither, whose and why TTIP? Monday October 12 2015
- Human Rights Consortium: The Sustainable Development Goals - Whither Human Rights? Thursday October 15 2015
- Workshop: The post-LASPO landscape - Challenges for family law Friday October 16 2015
- Temple North Womens Forum Annual Event: Surviving The Bar Monday October 19 2015
- Workshop and Book Launch: Legal Life Writing: Marginalised Subjects and Sources Tuesday October 20 2015
- Panel: Barriers to Abolition - A Global Perspective on the Death Penalty Thursday October 22 2015
For all forthcoming events please click here. The SLS is pleased to provide details of forthcoming legal events in on this site and via email. Should you wish to advertise an event please contact us.
The University of British Columbia's Peter A. Allard School of Law is undertaking an external search for the following posts:
Closing date 21 September 2015.
Lakehead University is conducting an extensive search for the Dean of the Bora Laskin Faculty of Law and invites expressions of interest, applications and nominations.
- Portsmouth Business School: Research Assistant in Law
- Copenhagen Business School: Postdoc, Financial Regulation
- Anglia Ruskin: Lecturer in Law
- University of Surrey: Professorial, Senior Lecturer and Lecturer posts x 18
- Judicial Appointment Commission: Fee-paid judge
- Georgetown University, Canada: The Donald G. Herzberg Chair in International Migration