The Society of Legal Scholars (SLS) is the learned society for those who teach law in a university or similar institution or who are otherwise engaged in legal scholarship. As of beginning of 2013 the SLS had over 2900 members consisting of academic and practising lawyers in a wide variety of subject areas. The SLS was founded in 1908 and has charitable status. For more information on the SLS please read on.
Best Paper Prize 2013
We are pleased to announce that the winner of the 2013 SLS Best Paper Prize is Bruce Wardhaugh (Queen's University, Belfast) for his paper 'Bogeyman, Lunatics and Fanatics: Collective Actions and the Private Enforcement of European Competition Law'. The paper, which was presented in the EU and Competition Law section of the Edinburgh 2013 conference, will be published in Legal Studies in early 2014.
Best Poster Prize 2013
The Society is pleased to announce the winner and runner up in the 2013 Poster competition.
Birks Prize 2013 - Winner
The Society is pleased to announce that Erika Rackley's Women, Judging and the Judiciary; From Difference to Diversity (Routledge) is the winner of the 2013 Birks Book Prize.
The following books were shortlisted for the 2013 Birks Book prize.
Alison Bisset Truth Commissions and Criminal Courts Cambridge University Press
Jessie Hohmann The Right to Housing: Law, Concepts, Possibilities Hart Publishing
Marc Moore Corporate Governance in the Shadow of the State Hart Publishing
Cian Murphy EU Counter-Terrorism Law Hart Publishing
Erika Rackley Women, Judging and the Judiciary; From Difference to Diversity Routledge
- Regius Professor of Laws, Trinity College Dublin
- Law PhD Studentships/Scholarships: Dundee
- Event: "The UK Human Rights Act - 'That Remarkable Piece of Legislation'", London, 10 Dec
- Workshop: "Spaces of Indigenous Justice", Leeds, 12-3 Dec
- Jobs: Online Tutors in Law, Derby
- Call for Papers: International Legal Ethics Conference VI, City, London July 2014
- Call for Papers: Graduate Conf on Latin American Law & Policy, Oxford
- Call for Papers: "Legal regulation & Education: Doing the right thing?", UEA
- Call for Papers: "Challenges for Labour Law", Kingston
- Insolvency Lawyers' Association - Annual Academic Forum, 21 Mar
The SLS is pleased to provide details of forthcoming legal events in on this site and via email. Should you wish to advertise an event please contact us.
Legal Events in December
Legal Events in January
For all forthcoming events please click here.
The Society places details of academic appointments which may be of interest to its members on these pages. Should you wish to advertise an appointment here please contact us.
- Post Doctorial Fellowships N.U Singapore
- LSE Department of Law, two posts
- CUF Lecturership in Law/Tutorial Fellowship in law
- AHRC funded PhD studentships and Carnegie & Caledonian PhD Scholarships
- Regius Professor of Laws The University of Dublin Trinity College
- PhD studentship funding opportunities
- Changes under the Crime and Courts Act 2013 start to take effect
- Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Reader (Several Posts) - Kent