The Society of Legal Scholars (SLS) is the learned society for those who teach law in a university or similar institution or who are otherwise engaged in legal scholarship. As of beginning of 2013 the SLS had over 2900 members consisting of academic and practising lawyers in a wide variety of subject areas. The SLS was founded in 1908 and has charitable status. For more information on the SLS please read on.
SLS Annual Seminar Series in 2015
The purpose of this notice is to invite applications to hold the SLS Annual Seminar Series in 2015. The rules governing the award of funding for the Series are set out below. Proposals should be sent by e-mail, with a hard copy by post, to the Society’s Hon Secretary, Professor Richard Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org ; Lancashire Law School, University of Central Lancashire, Preston PR1 2HE, to arrive no later than close of business on Friday 30 May 2014. The Society’s Research Sub-Committee will adjudicate on proposals. Please address any enquiries to the Society’s Hon Secretary. Further details.
SLS Legal Scholarship Fund
Applications are invited for the SLS Legal Scholarship Fund. For further information please click here.
Call for Papers 2014
Calls have been made for papers at the forthcoming 2014 Annual Conference.
Birks Prize 2013 - Winner
The Society is pleased to announce that Erika Rackley's Women, Judging and the Judiciary; From Difference to Diversity (Routledge) is the winner of the 2013 Birks Book Prize.
The following books were shortlisted for the 2013 Birks Book prize.
Alison Bisset Truth Commissions and Criminal Courts Cambridge University Press
Jessie Hohmann The Right to Housing: Law, Concepts, Possibilities Hart Publishing
Marc Moore Corporate Governance in the Shadow of the State Hart Publishing
Cian Murphy EU Counter-Terrorism Law Hart Publishing
Erika Rackley Women, Judging and the Judiciary; From Difference to Diversity Routledge
- Society of Legal Scholars Research Grants 2014 - Deadline 3rd March
- Association of Law Teachers Annual Conference
- "Constraints on Executive Power: Explaining Variation in the Acceptance of Asylum-Seekers and Refugees" 21 Jan
- "CURRENT DEBATES ON THE FUTURE OF INTERNET ACCESSIBILITY" Lancaster, 5th March
- Call for Papers: "Leaving Europe?" Institute of European Law @bhamlaw 25 June
- Annual Conference of the European Association of Law and Economic, 18-20 Sept
- Call for Interest: Women's Legal Landmarks Project
- Call for Papers: Competition Law Scholars Forum Workshop, 1st May
- AHRC/Keele Project on Organised Crime, Dublin, 21st March
- Intellectual Property Law Conference, Cambridge, 15th March 2014
The SLS is pleased to provide details of forthcoming legal events in on this site and via email. Should you wish to advertise an event please contact us.
Legal Events in April
- Association of Law Teachers Annual Conference : 13/4/14.
Legal Events in May
- Competition Law Scholars Forum (CLaSF) Workshop: Competition Law and Pricing Mechanisms : 1/5/14.
- CCLCJ Postgraduate Research Conference: Decision-Making and Criminal Justice - National and International Trends : 7/5/14.
- ECLAN PhD Seminar: The EU Area of Criminal Justice : 8/5/14.
- International Network for Hate Studies Conference: Understanding Hate Crime - Research, Policy and Practice : 8/5/14.
- Feminist International Judgments Project: Invitation for participation : 8/5/14.
- BACL 2014 Postgraduate Workshop on Comparative Law : 8/5/14.
- Conference: Britain Alone : 9/5/14.
- GELP (Group for Employment Law and Policy) Annual Conference: Challenges for Labour Law : 9/5/14.
- Centre for Criminal Justice and Human Rights Annual Lecture: 20th Century Law - 21st Century Problems : 14/5/14.
- CECIL Annual Workshop: International Criminal Law and Victims : 16/5/14.
- Law, Gender and Sexuality: sources and methods in socio-legal research : 19/5/14.
- ICLQ Annual Lecture 2014: Legal Transplant and Undue Influence - Lost in Translation or a Working Misunderstanding : 20/5/14.
- Conference: The Past and the Future of the Legal Left - Celebrating Duncan Kennedy's Scholarship : 22/5/14.
- Conference: Compensation Culture - Comparative Tort Law Reform in the 21st Century : 23/5/14.
- Centre of European Law and Internationalisation (CELI) Conference: The UK and European Human Rights - A Strained Relationship? : 23/5/14.
- 11th Asian Law Institute Annual Conference 2014 : 29/5/14.
- Workshop: National Security and Public Health: Exceptions to Human Rights? : 29/5/14.
- Glasgow Human Rights Conference 2014: Human Rights in Uncertain Times - Global Lessons for and from Scotland : 29/5/14.
For all forthcoming events please click here.
The Society places details of academic appointments which may be of interest to its members on these pages. Should you wish to advertise an appointment here please contact us.
- Keele University School of Law: Senior Lecturer in Law
- Keele University School of Law: Lectureships in Law x2
- Keele University School of Law: Teaching Fellowship in Law, fixed term
- Feminist Legal Studies: Editorial Board Members
- Edinburgh Law School: PhD Studentship in Criminology
- Cardiff Law School: PhD studentships
- School of Advanced Study University of London Human Rights Consortium: Visiting Fellowships
- Birmingham Law School: Chair in Commercial Law
- Aston University: Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- Lancaster University Law School: Senior Lecturer in Property Law
- Faculty of Law in association with All Souls College, Oxford: Regius Professorship of Civil Law
- University of Edinburgh: LLM Scholarships in Private law x 2
- University College Cork: PhD Studentships
- Queen Mary University London: New LLM in Immigration Law
- Changes under the Crime and Courts Act 2013 start to take effect
- Manchester Journal of International Economic Law (MJIEL): Associate Editor/s