The Society of Legal Scholars (SLS) is the learned society for those who teach law in a university or similar institution or who are otherwise engaged in legal scholarship. As of beginning of 2013 the SLS had over 2900 members consisting of academic and practising lawyers in a wide variety of subject areas. The SLS was founded in 1908 and has charitable status. For more information on the SLS please read on.
The detailed response of the Society to the Bar Standards Board consultation paper on ‘The Future Of Training For The Bar: Academic, Vocational And Professional Stages Of Training’ is now available.
The Society is delighted to announce that Katja LH Samuel is the winner of the Peter Birks Book Prizes for Outstanding Legal Scholarship (2015) for The OIC, the UN, and Counter-Terrorism Law-Making: Conflicting or Cooperative Legal Orders? (Studies in International Law, Hart Publishing). There were two joint runners up: Jacco Bomhoff, Balancing Constitutional Rights: The Origin and Meanings of Postwar Legal Discourse (Cambridge University Press) and Paul S Davies, Accessory Liability (Hart Studies in Private Law: Hart Publishing).
SLS Centenary Lecture 2015, "The Rule of law and the economy: Barons, brigands and bankers", will be given by Nicholas Green on Wednesday 18 November, at 18:00, at the University of Bristol. Further details will be published when they become available.
Council has approved the change of name and revised rules in order to give more guidance to potential applicants and in particular to distinguish this fund from the Research Activities Fund and also from the Annual Seminar Series.
March 2015: PowerPoint Slides from the REF Law Sub-Panel Feedback session given on the 4 March 2015 at the IALS by Professor Gillian Douglas.
- Seminar Series: Jurisdiction Thursday February 18 2016
- Lecture: Spatial Justice - the violence of space Thursday February 18 2016
- Conference: Creative Freedoms Friday February 19 2016
- Lecture 'Unclaimed Territories in the Clouds - Where are the Limits to Internet Jurisdiction?' Wednesday February 24 2016
- IV Postgraduate Environmental Law Symposium Thursday February 25 2016
- Symposium: Human Rights, Housing and Dispute Resolution Friday February 26 2016
- Kent Critical Law Conference 2016: Limiting Liberties Saturday February 27 2016
- Symposium: Safeguarding Access to Justice - The Future of Legal Aid Wednesday March 02 2016
- Lecture: Current Issues in Insurance Law and Regulation Thursday March 03 2016
- Conference: The policing of protest and public order Wednesday March 09 2016
For all forthcoming events please click here. The SLS is pleased to provide details of forthcoming legal events in on this site and via email. Should you wish to advertise an event please contact us.
- 'Northern Ireland Politics: Can we really make a Fresh Start?', Ulster University, 15 Feb
- " The work of the Judge Advocate General and the Court Martial system ", Judge Jeff Blackett, 1 March, Kingston
- ‘Europe, India, and the Limits of Secularism’ 1 March, Queen Mary
- "Standardisation, Innovation and Consumers - What is Next in FRAND Licensing?" @BIICL, 2 March
- ‘The Islamic State Effect: Counter-terrorism at the Cross-roads?’, Lecture by Prof Kent Roach, Strathclyde, 15 Mar
- "Relational Autonomy & Social Justice" Lecture by Prof Catriona Mackenzie, Leeds 16 Mar
- ‘My body, my property’: autonomy and relationality, PECANS Workshop, Leeds. Deadline 22 Feb
- First Women Lawyers in Britain and the Empire Symposium, 30 June
- PhD Scholarships in the Lancashire Law School. Deadline 4 Feb
- Post-Doc: "The Abortion Act: a Biography", Kent, Deadline 7 Feb
Deakin University has the following opportunities:
The The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Law has the following posts open:
Closing date for fellowship applications 1 December 2015 at 12 noon Hong Kong Time (GMT+8 hours) and Studentship applications 31 January 2016.
Lakehead University is conducting an extensive search for the Dean of the Bora Laskin Faculty of Law and invites expressions of interest, applications and nominations.
- Manchester University: 5 x Lecturers / Senior Lecturers in Law
- University of Portsmouth: Professor in Law
- University of Reading: Leverhulme Doctoral Studentship in Climate Justice
- Kent Law School: PhD research studentships, fee waivers and bursaries 2016/17
- Georgetown University, Canada: The Donald G. Herzberg Chair in International Migration