The Society of Legal Scholars (SLS) is the learned society for those who teach law in a university or similar institution or who are otherwise engaged in legal scholarship. As of beginning of 2013 the SLS had over 2900 members consisting of academic and practising lawyers in a wide variety of subject areas. The SLS was founded in 1908 and has charitable status. For more information on the SLS please read on.
The SLS Executive is pleased to announce further details of the 2015 Seminar Incentivising Innovation and Higher Standards in Regulation and Liability Relating to Medicines to be held on Wednesday 25th and Thursday 26th March 2015 Durham Law School. Further details.
The SLS supports legal research and scholarship through the Research Activities Fund Grants.Each year the Society sets aside a fund (currently GBP 12,500) available for research grants in the coming year. This has previously been called the Academic Purposes Fund (APF) but it is now called the Research Activities Fund (administered by the Research Grants Committee).
Applications are invited each year from members of the Society. Applications are now invited for the 2015 round and must be received by the Administrative Secretary, by email, no later than 5pm on the first Monday of March. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application form, Rules and guidance notes can be here.
The Society's response is available here as a PDF version
The Society is delighted to announce that Jeff King is the winner of the Peter Birks Book Prizes for Outstanding Legal Scholarship (2014) for Judging Social Rights (Cambridge Studies in Constitutional Law, CUP). There were two runners up as the judges decided that in such a strong field it was impossible to exclude either: Jure Vidmar, Democratic Statehood in International Law: The Emergence of New States in Post-Cold War Practice (Studies in International Law, Hart Publishing) and James Goudkamp, Tort Law Defences (Hart Studies in Private Law, Hart Publishing). For further information on the Birks Book Prize please click here.
- Professional Guest Speakers Series: Dr Michael Powers QC Wednesday March 04 2015
- Seminar: Maritime Issues Thursday March 05 2015
- European Women Lawyers’ Association Annual Congress Thursday March 05 2015
- Conference: Migration and Human Rights: Perception v Reality Saturday March 07 2015
- Training Day: How to get a PhD in Law 1 Saturday March 07 2015
- 16th Annual Student Human Rights Conference Saturday March 07 2015
- Youard Lecture in Legal History 2015: When Lawyers Lie - Forging an English Constitution in 1399 Tuesday March 10 2015
- Workshop: Teaching Legal Ethics Friday March 20 2015
- Training Day: How to get a PhD in Law 2 Friday March 20 2015
- Monroe E. Price Media Law Moot Court Competition Tuesday March 24 2015
For all forthcoming events please click here. The SLS is pleased to provide details of forthcoming legal events in on this site and via email. Should you wish to advertise an event please contact us.
- 16th Annual Student Human Rights Conference, Nottingham: "Migration and Human Rights: Perception v Reality", 7 March
- Inaugural Sir John Smith Lecture in Criminal Law and Criminal Justice: Mr Justice Sweeney, Nottingham, 26 March
- Conference: "Transnational Law & Social Justice", LSE, 26-7 June
- Conference: "Justice without Retribution", Aberdeen, 2-3 April
- UCD Sutherland School of Law Doctoral Scholarships, Closing Date: 30 April
- 3rd Annual Bentham House Conference: The Philosophical Foundations of Tax Law, UCL, 8-9 May
- Workshop for Young EU Lawyers, LSE, 21 May
- Conference: "Stimulating Business in a Europe in Crisis", Thessaloniki, 2 June
- Panel: "Racial Discrimination and Criminal Justice in the EU", 9 July, British Academy
- Conference: "Racial Discrimination and Criminal Justice in the EU", 9-10 July, British Academy
- Bournemouth University: Fully-funded PhD at the Centre for Intellectual Property Policy and Management (CIPPM)
- University of Portsmouth: Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Law (Employment Law and Discrimination Law)
- Reading University: PhD studentships x 15
- University of New South Wales, Australia: Research Fellowship
- University College Dublin: Doctoral Scholarships
- SOAS: Tutor for Law of Contracts
- University of Dundee: Research Degrees 2015-16
- Judicial Appointment Commission: Fee-paid judge
The Society is currently seeking applications for the Legal Scholarship Fund. Closing date 1 March 2015.
The Society's Annual Conference in 2015 will be held on 1 - 4 September at the University of York. Further details are available here.