The Society of Legal Scholars (SLS) is the learned society for those who teach law in a university or similar institution or who are otherwise engaged in legal scholarship. As of beginning of 2013 the SLS had over 2900 members consisting of academic and practising lawyers in a wide variety of subject areas. The SLS was founded in 1908 and has charitable status. For more information on the SLS please read on.
Call for Papers and Posters
Call for Papers - SLS 2013 PhD Conference Edinburgh
The Society of Legal Scholars is pleased to announce that it will be holding its first ever PhD satellite conference, to run alongside their annual conference. The conference aims to allow PhD students a greater level of participation within the Society of Legal Scholars. Further details may be read in this document.
Call for Posters
The SLS introduced poster presentations for the first time last year and we are seeking to build on the success of this new initiative. We welcome posters on any topic, including those which engage with this year’s conference theme: ‘Tis’ Forty Years Since: Britain and Ireland in Europe, Europe in Britain and Ireland’. The call is open to all colleagues at any stage of their career. Further details.
Annual Seminar 2013
The Society of Legal Scholars Annual Seminar 2013 will take place on 2-3 July 2013 in Newman House, Dublin. under the theme Changing Landscape - Comparative Reflections on Rights-Based Constitutional Review. Further details.
Annual Seminar Series 2014 - Invitation to Submit Proposals
Deadline: 5pm 31st May 2013
The purpose of this notice is to invite applications to hold the SLS Annual Seminar Series in 2014. The rules governing the award of funding for the Series are here. Proposals should be sent by e-mail, with a hard copy by post, to the Society’s Hon Secretary, Professor Richard Taylor email@example.com; Lancashire Law School, University of Central Lancashire, Preston PR1 2HE, to arrive no later than close of business on Friday 31 May 2013. The Society’s Research Sub-Committee will adjudicate on proposals. Please address any enquiries to the Society’s Hon Secretary.
Peter Birks Prize 2013
Closing Date: 31 May 2013
Each year the Society offers two prizes for outstanding published books by scholars in their early careers. The prizes will be presented at the annual dinner of the Society at the Annual Conference. The value of the prizes will be £1,000 for the first prize and £300 for the second prize. The judges may decide to award one prize or not to award a prize, or may decide to divide the whole sum or either prize between two winners. The judges will be the President of the Society, the Vice-President and the Immediate Past President. They will be entitled to take advice from such professorial members of the Society as they see fit. The following notice concerns the arrangements for the award of the Peter Birks Prizes for 2013. It is expected that the publishers of the nominated books will provide three copies, one for each of the three judges, and these will not be returned. It is also the intention that after the full list of nominated books has been submitted to the Executive Committee, it will be placed on the Society's website.
The shortlist will also be placed on the website once determined by the judges, which should be one month before the Annual Conference. The rules are strictly adhered to and are attached.
Particularly note the rules regarding membership of the Society, nomination and the need for the author's consent. Nominations, including the nominated books, should be sent to the Administrative Secretary, Sally Thomson, by 31 May 2013
Download: Peter Birks Prize Rules
- Pre-conference Online Discussion Forum (SLS Cyberlaw Section)
- Survey of Property Lawyers: Closing Date 15 April 2013
- From the President's desk: a visit to Middle Temple
- SLS Cyberlaw Section Special Journal Editions (Updates)
- From the President's Desk: Happy Burns Night
- Updating Your Membership Record
- SLS Annual Conference 2014
- From the President's desk
- Research Survey - Property Lawyers
- 2014 Annual Seminar Series
- 2012 SLS Best Paper Prize
- 2012 Peter Birks Prizes for Outstanding Legal Scholarship
- 2012 SLS Best Poster Prize
- The Birks Book Prize 2012
- LETR Update
- SLS Annual Conference 2012
The SLS is pleased to provide details of forthcoming legal events in on this site and via email. Should you wish to advertise an event please contact us.
Legal Events in May
- Conference: Negotiating Religion: Inquiries into the History and Present of Religious Accommodation. : 1/5/13.
- Singapore Management University 2DAY Conference: Journal of Law of Contract. : 2/5/13.
- Obstacles to Free Speech and the Safety of Journalists : 3/5/13.
- City University London: Conference 3 May 2013 : 3/5/13.
- ISPL Short Course running in APRIL and MAY 2013 : 5/5/13.
- Keele University - Law School Research Seminar CANCELLED : 8/5/13.
- Conference: Vulnerability and Cultural Heritage I: : 9/5/13.
- Leicester School of Law - 2 day Conference Vulnerability and Cultural Heritage I: : 9/5/13.
- Surrey University: Multidisciplinary 2day workshop Greening Economics, Greening Society: : 9/5/13.
- What is the Role of the EU? : 9/5/13.
- The Bill of Rights Commission’s Report: Where Are We Now? : 10/5/13.
- BIICL 20th Public Meeting of the Investment Treaty Forum (ITF) : 10/5/13.
- International Workshop and Roundtable on International Commercial Law : 10/5/13.
- QMUL: Conference Comparative Criminal Procedures : 10/5/13.
- Human Rights Consortium School of Advanced Studies : 13/5/13.
- Leicester University Conflict of Laws Scholars Forum, Cross-Border Family Law Focus Event : 13/5/13.
- University of Chester Law School: HEA sponsored Free Workshop Wednesday 15th May : 15/5/13.
- Human Rights Research Students' conference : 15/5/13.
- The Centre for International Law and Human Rights (CILHR) Lecture and Workshop : 15/5/13.
- SAVE THE DATE 15 - 17 May 2013 (EIRC Congress) : 15/5/13.
- BIICL 13th Annual WTO Conference : 15/5/13.
- National socio-legal training day on the subject of legal biography : 15/5/13.
- Lancaster University - Centre for International Law and Human Rights Workshop : 16/5/13.
- Strathclyde Centre for Environmental Law and Governance Guest Lecture : 16/5/13.
- Changing Paradigms in Labour Law : 17/5/13.
- 20th Anniversary of Feminist Legal Studies : 18/5/13.
- How to get a PhD in Law: Preparing yourself for the vivas. Getting yourself known etc. : 22/5/13.
- 7th Annual Postgraduate Bioethics Conference: Bioethics in Law and Public Policy : 22/5/13.
- 3-day Amsterdam Research Forum - International Law as a Profession. : 23/5/13.
- The LERN Conference 2013 -Showcasing Legal Education Research- : 23/5/13.
- Legal Education Research Network - LERN *Showcasing Legal Education Research* : 23/5/13.
- Irish Society of Comparative Law Annual Conference -- 2days at NUI Galway : 24/5/13.
- Scottish Law Commission e-bulletin Spring 2013 : 31/5/13.
Legal Events in June
- Postgraduate Colloquium on Environmental Law and Governance : 6/6/13.
- 4th Annual Queen Mary Postgraduate Legal Research Conference: : 6/6/13.
- A Symposium on the Future of International Law and Global Governance - 2days : 6/6/13.
- The Scottish Civil Justice Council (SCJC) will be established in May 2013 : 10/6/13.
- Joint conference on the reform of the European Insolvency Regulation (EIR). : 12/6/13.
- Leeds: Centre for Business Law and Practice Conference: : 12/6/13.
- Swansea University - conference Children's Rights and Needs : 12/6/13.
- Swansea University Public Lecture, Who's Afraid of Children's Rights? : 14/6/13.
- Conference Culture and International Economic Law : 20/6/13.
- Oxford Jurisprudence Discussion Group : 20/6/13.
- 2day Conference on International Whistleblowing Research : 20/6/13.
- Joint CEL/JMCE Legal Workshop European Union: Solidarity in Question : 21/6/13.
- University of Nottingham Human Rights Law Centre Summer School Rights of the Child : 24/6/13.
- 2day WG HART Legal Workshop : 24/6/13.
- Queen Mary - series of 3 days of events on Financial Law and Regulation : 26/6/13.
- Joint Conference at Vancouver in June 2013 : 26/6/13.
- Sheffield: Workshop Old Markets, New Markets: Health Law after the 2012 Act : 27/6/13.
- Symposium Programme - Who needs big Banks? : 27/6/13.
For all forthcoming events please click here.
The Society places details of academic appointments which may be of interest to its members on these pages. Should you wish to advertise an appointment here please contact us.
- Visiting Academic Teaching Jersey Civil and Criminal Procedure
- District Judge (Magistrates' Courts) Wales
- Oxford: Career Development Fellowship in Law and
- University of Newcastle, Australia Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer
- UCD School of Law Doctoral Scholarships 2013
- Glasgow: PhD Scholarships (x2)in Public Law
- Dundee Law School: PhD Scholarships 2013
- Fixed-Term Lectureship in Law,Worcester College, Oxford.
- Research Associate for European Research Council funded project
- Career Development Fellowship in Property Law ,Trinity College, Oxford.
- Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Reader (Several Posts) - Kent